Sunday, August 31, 2008

Me and the Virtual Bangalore-Inner-Ring-Road Grandprix

While driving on the road, sometimes you get an urge to race against some of the co-commuters for no reason. I experienced one such urge surge today. I was driving my car to Koramangala from Indiranagar. When I was about to cross the Domlur flyover to hit the intermediate ring road, two monsters zipped passed with roaring engines. One, a stylish black PORSCHE CAYENNE and the next a white bull, the BMW X5 - both 3500+ cc gas guzzlers. I felt the enormous power of these vehicles(by the thrust of air which pushed my little car) when they went past me.

Though I realized that my 1000cc puny WagonR was no match for them, the Narain Karthikeyan in me stepped up the accelerator and started chasing these Goliaths and imagined that the Ejipura signal crossing would bear the chequered flag.. Inner ring road is one of those few roads in Bangalore where you can push your speedometer needle move past 90kmph. And this time around i could see the needle struggling between 100 and 110 kmph. While I was busy dodging other fellow commuters at this speed and trying to catch up with my competitor Goliaths, I saw them zooming out of my sight burning the road (they should have been a real 150+ kmph) ... I felt like a bunny who was trying to chase cheetahs (Though I was not the prey).

Another half a km down the road, I could see Ejipura signal emerging and the Goliaths slowing down. I took advantage of the puny size of my car and moved smoothly slipped between the cars waiting for the traffic signal and reached the FINISH line (Zebra crossing). Ha ha ha. I felt like Lewis Hamilton winning British Grandprix. As I exulted with victory, KNOCK KNOCK, a traffic constable knocked on my wind shield and gestured to move behind the zebra crossing.
Though I eventually won the race (unethical & manipulated virtual victory), "எல்லாம் ஒரு _ _ _ திண்ண சந்தோசம் தான் " as my dosht Raghavan says.

At the signal, I saw this hoarding - SPEED is a 5 letter word, so is DEATH. Hmmm ... "என்னா வில்லத்தனம்"?

My Suzuki WagonR: (http://www.marutiwagonr.com/)

BMW X5: (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_X5)

Porsche Cayenne: (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porsche_Cayenne)

1 comment:

INJEY! said...

Looks like you had a race of your lifetime. I did the same here in US against a BMW.
But how the hell did you get a road so clear of traffic to race against BMW and a Porsche?????

Was there a bandh?